domingo, setembro 06, 2026

Curiosidade do dia

O The Times de ontem publicou o artigo "'I left an office job to be an electrician — and doubled my salary'".

"Millie Mercedes Chhetri was at a career crossroads thanks to the pandemic in 2020. She left her job as a software engineer after her salary was cut from £45,000 to £25,000 because she said the music equipment company she worked for told her that the enforced working from home would mean she did fewer hours.

After applying for more than 300 software jobs with no success, she left the white-collar world to become an electrician.

...

Chhetri is fully qualified and two years into her new career, and regrets not making the switch earlier. Her phone rings off the hook with jobs and she earns £50,000 a year. Now she wants to expand. "I know people making £150,000 a year, and I aim to get there. I want to grow a team, take on apprentices, and move into smart homes and solar-powered batteries."
...

After Zoe Lewis, 43, was made redundant from her job in HR at the technology company Cisco last year she became a tiler, bathroom fitter and general handywoman.

Her yearly income dropped from £67,000 to about £40,000, but her working hours have drastically reduced and her work-life balance has improved hugely.

"I often work two weeks on and two weeks off. I don't have kids, but I can see how this could be a lucrative career that you can fit around families, versus working in an office," said Lewis, who lives in southeast London." 

Apenas 2% dos profissionais são mulheres, mas o número de mulheres que iniciou aprendizagens na construção aumentou 66% entre 2018 e 2025. 

A inteligência artificial está a inverter a hierarquia social das profissões. Durante décadas, a universidade e o emprego de escritório foram apresentados como opções mais seguras e prestigiosas. Agora, 80% dos jovens inquiridos receiam que a IA ameace os empregos de escritório e 39% consideram uma aprendizagem profissional mais atraente do que a universidade — em 2016 eram apenas 3%.

A curiosidade maior é, no fundo, esta: as profissões que durante décadas foram apresentadas como alternativa para quem não ia para a universidade começam a oferecer mais segurança, autonomia e potencial económico do que muitos empregos obtidos precisamente através da universidade. 


Sem comentários: