sábado, agosto 01, 2026

Curiosidade do dia

Acerca da ciência:
"I am safer in my little place, making my comments, making my statements. They’re made-up stories.

What is a made-up story?

My telling you my belief system is a made-up story. This is really an important idea. I thought that everything written in a book was true. [Moi ici: Recordo esta conversa sobre um clube de leitura] As soon as the publications came out, as soon as I could go to PubMed, I thought those things written down were absolute truths.

And then you stay in medicine for 30 years and you realise the things that you were taught are not true anymore. [Moi ici: Faz-me lembrar uma conversa há mais de 40 anos em que alguem me contava que o que tinha aprendido num aula na semana anterior tinha sido desmenbtido na semana seguinte por factos novos] Well, that means they made up those stories. They do a scientific experiment. You and I are looking at the data, but there’s always a conclusion: “My conclusions from this data are…” Those are always made-up stories. And, in fact, they’re always humans making up stories.
...
And then I began to realise they made up those stories. That was their best guess. That is every single person who sits on this side of the table. It’s their best guess. All of us are—or you wouldn’t have us on here. Very enthusiastic about our guess.

But it’s very important to realise that every belief system means you see the world through that, but it always has blinders. There are things that you won’t be able to see because of it as well."

Sem comentários: