"In The Innovator’s Dilemma, Clayton Christensen explains how incumbents actually pay a high price for actually doing a great job and constantly improving their technological offerings and creating overserved consumers.
Nonetheless, entrepreneurs looking to create a disruptive new business should not overlook underleveraged old technologies that just need a new use, and a new business model, to remain valuable.
Importantly, note how the basis of competition for Piql is functionality and reliability, not convenience or affordability. In this, Piql might look more like what today’s incumbents looked like when they started rather than a classical disruptor. Disruptors often do compete on convenience and affordability — the more affordable steel produced by minimills, for example, or the more convenient movie-delivery method of Netflix. Convenience and affordability are both important elements of disruption in existing markets where some customers are over-served, or you are trying to expand to non-consumers.
But to create new markets, disruptive entrepreneurs often overlook the possibility of emphasizing a different criteria. New-market disruptions go much further than incorporating non-consumers into an industry. They actually create a new nascent industry where before there was nothing, or just a few offerings that did not do the job very well. [Moi ici: Não consigo deixar de recordar o exemplo da artesã de Bragança, ou o denim japonês, ou o burel de Manteigas, ou ... ] And in this case, the basis of competition mostly favor functionality and reliability – these are usually the attributes of old technologies."
- Subir na escala da abstracção (parte II) (Dezembro de 2015)
- Autenticidade e empreendedorismo (Setembro de 2015)
- O que me fascina é a mudança (Maio de 2015)
- Não mudar de produto, mudar de mercado. Um exemplo (Fevereiro de 2015)
- Mais um exemplo positivo (Novembro de 2014)
- Mudar de prateleira, mudar de mercado, mudar de significado (Junho de 2014)
- A ironia da derrota do eficientismo (Abril de 2014)
- Outro exemplo de decomoditização (Janeiro de 2014)
- É exactamente o mesmo desafio da artesã (Dezembro de 2013)
- Uma perspectiva interessante (Fevereiro de 2013)
- Pós-geografia (Fevereiro de 2013)
Trechos retirados de "When Old Technologies Create New Industries"