domingo, novembro 26, 2023

Ciência podre

Nos tempos do Covid tinhamos nos extremos os críticos acéfalos e os apoaintes acéfalos da ciência.

Ainda me lembro de me venderem que os vacinados não apanhavam Covid...

Adiante!

"However, my advisor had a different view: The paper had been published in a top management journal by three prominent scholars… To her, it was inconceivable to simply disregard this paper.

I felt trapped: She kept insisting, for more than a year, that I had to build upon the paper… but I had serious doubts about the trustworthiness of the results. I didn’t suspect fraud: I simply thought that the results had been “cherry picked”. At the end of my third year into the program (i.e., in 2018), I finally decided to openly share with her my concerns about the paper. I also insisted that given how little we knew about networking discomfort, and given my doubts about the soundness of CGK 2014, it would be better to start from scratch and launch an exploratory study on the topic.

Her reaction was to vehemently dismiss my concerns, and to imply that I was making very serious accusations. I was stunned: Either she was unaware of the “replication crisis” in psychology (showing how easy it is to obtain false-positive results from questionable research practices), or she was aware of it but decided to ignore it. In both cases, it was a clear signal that it was time for me to distance myself from this supervisor.

...

The story so far is very banal. I, a (very) early-career researcher, took a deep dive into a famous paper and discovered inconsistencies. These stories always start with “that’s odd…”, “it doesn’t make any sense…”, or “there is something off here…”. Then, I second-guessed myself, a lot. After all, the authors are famous, serious people; and the paper is published in a prestigious peer-reviewed journal. So I thought “I must have misunderstood,” “I must be missing a part of the puzzle,” “it was probably addressed during the peer review process”… Then, as I finally grew more confident that the issues were real and substantial, I decided to write about them.

What should happen then (if science were, as many people like to say, “self-correcting”) is that, after a peer-review of some form, my criticism would get printed somewhere, and the field would welcome my analysis the same way it welcomes any other paper: Another brick in the wall of scientific knowledge.

As revealed in the New Yorker piece, this is not at all what happened. The three members of my committee (who oversaw the content of my dissertation) were very upset by this criticism. They never engaged with the content: Instead, they repeatedly suggested that a scientific criticism of a published paper had no place in a dissertation."

 O artigo impressiona e faz pensar na quantidade de professores e investigadores em Economia que publicam artigos científicos enquanto louvam a economia da Venezuela, a Coreia do Norte e Cuba.

Trechos retirados de "A Post Mortem on the Gino Case".


Recordar "Sou um cândido ingénuo"

Sem comentários: