quarta-feira, novembro 29, 2017

Para reflexão

"As a consequence, I got into the best class in the best school in my city, [Moi ici: Na China] and thus began the most painful year of my life.
...
Most of the class had been participating in various competitions in middle school and had become familiar with a large part of the high school syllabus already. Furthermore, they had also grown to know each other from those years of competitions together. And here I was, someone who didn’t know anything or anyone, surrounded by people who knew more to begin with, who were much smarter, and who worked just as hard as I did. What chance did I have?
.
During that year, I tried very hard to catch up: I gave up everything else and even moved somewhere close to the school to save time on the commute, but to no avail. Over time, going to school and competing while knowing I was sure to lose became torture. Yet I had to do it every day. At the end-of-year exam, I scored second from the bottom of the class—the same place where I began in first grade.
...
Finally, I threw in the towel, and asked my parents to send me abroad. Anywhere else on this earth would surely be better.
.
So I came to the UK in 2001, when I was 16 years old. Much to my surprise, I found the UK’s exam-focused educational system very similar to the one in China.
...
I found it hard to believe how much easier everything became. I scored first nationwide in the GCSE (high school) math exam, and my photo was printed in a national newspaper."
Interessante como o penúltimo aluno numa escola de uma cidade chinesa de segunda categoria, consegue ser o melhor aluno no Reino Unido.

E este trecho:
"On the other hand, although the UK’s university system is considered superior to China’s, with a population that is only one-twentieth the size of my native country, competition, while tough, is less intimidating. For example, about one in ten applicants gets into Oxbridge in the UK, and Stanford and Harvard accept about one in twenty-five applicants. But in Hebei province in China, where I am from, only one in fifteen hundred applicants gets into Peking or Qinghua University
Faz-me lembrar uma mensagem que li, talvez em 2011, e que dizia que o top 1% de alunos chineses era mais numeroso que todos os alunos americanos juntos.

Trechos retirados de "The Western Elite from a Chinese Perspective"

Sem comentários: