domingo, maio 04, 2014

O problema é a procura, não é a oferta (parte V)

Já em tempos escrevi aqui, (parte I e parte II) sobre esta empresa, Marlin Steel Wire Products.
.
Este artigo, "From Making Bagel Baskets to Thinking Much Bigger" insere-se bem na série "O problema é a procura, não é a oferta". Este pormenor diz tudo:
"baskets from China started coming into Manhattan for $6 — less than what it cost me for the steel. I was paying $7 and selling the baskets for $12. Suddenly, we were hemorrhaging cash.
.
Q. Did you have a backup plan?
.
A. I had no clue.
.
Q. And then you got a phone call? [Moi ici: Teve sorte, a procura foi ter com ele e gerou a reacção que teve como consequência a subida na escala de valor e o investimento nas pessoas como resposta necessária. O truque é ser puxado e não empurrar]
.
A. I got a call from a mechanical engineer at Boeing. He needed 20 baskets that would have to be customized. I said to myself, this would be a pain. Einstein Bagels buys 1,000 to 2,000 at a time. “I’m going to have to charge you $24,” I said, thinking, that’s twice what I charge Einstein, and Einstein yells at me. He said, “O.K., whatever.” That was an epiphany.
...
Q. What had to change on your factory floor?
.
A. When I bought the company, we had minimum-wage employees who would hand-bend each of the four bends at the top of the bagel baskets. They would do four bends on basket after basket, all day long. Straight out of Dickens. To make a better quality product, we brought in $3.5 million worth of robots. We needed different people to learn how to operate these robots and computer-operated lasers and other fancy equipment. We’ve invested a tremendous amount of money in training them, and now, 20 percent of our employees are degreed mechanical engineers."

Sem comentários: