quinta-feira, maio 06, 2010

Promessas

"Accountability is relational in that it involves a promise or commitment from me to you; it is reflexive in that it says something about me and about our relationship that I have to internalize and accept; and it is relative to a set of background assumptions and a background audience – made up of those who can witness my commitment to you and those who cannot, but could."
...
"The basic building block of accountability is an act so complex that only humans can commit it: the promise. A promise is a speech act that is much more than just oral noise: it is oral noise that binds one to a course of action. The analysis of accountability proposed here focuses squarely on this speech act as the most important feature of organizational life, and on the promise as the basic building block of accountability.
When am I accountable? I am accountable to you for carrying out some action to which I have committed by promising to carry it out. We should not confuse being accountable with being responsible. Accountability is broader: it envisions that I may not fulfill the promise but, in that case, it demands that I produce a satisfactory account of why I have not."
...
"I makes a promise to Thou. The promise is genuine if it is a credible undertaking to bring about a particular event at a particular time, such that I and Thou can both ascertain whether or not the event has occurred, as can They, to the hypothetical satisfaction of Them and Those. An ‘event’ entails a change in the property of a substance at a specified time. A common pitfall of accountability interventions is to overlook the power of promissory language to equivocate by causing confusion. Promising to produce a difficult-to-observe change ‘at some point in the future’ is not a promise at all, because it has not specified an ‘event’."
.
Trecho retirado de "The Promise: The Basic Building Block of Accountability" de Mihnea Moldoveanu e publicado no número de Outono de 2009 da The Magazine of the Rotman School of Management

Sem comentários: